Sunday, July 19, 2015

Snapshots of Life: A Colorful Look Inside the Retina

NIH logo: National Institutes of Health, Turning Discovery Into HealthThe eyes....see it !

I really don't know enough about our eyes. 
All I  know, is how beautiful they are!
Up through last year, while I was caring for 
my Mother, I found out the hard way that she was 
in dire need of glasses! Mother just turned 83. She had the dollar store 
reading glasses and she seemed fine...well almost fine. As I was
used to Mother being a little aggravated at times I found  her getting worse.
One afternoon, after I got her in the house, I went back down my stairs
to get the groceries. When I came in the house,
Mother was using her pick-up stick trying to pick up
 my old black boots and her red push cart was on top of them!
I apologized to her and in two seconds, picked them up, and threw them out the door.
 I turned around and Mother was yelling and rushing to the front door,
 "How dare you throw out my brief case!" Mother was freaking out!
 I ran outside and pick up my old black boots rushed 
back in to showed them to her. I then pointed  to the couch were her black brief case was 
sitting nice and secure. WOW! This the moment I realized we need to get
to the eye doctor, asap!  Since Mother has dementia, and she is disfigured;
due to a horrible case of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) in her hands, knees, and feet.
She is prone to falling! Due to these facts, she recieved two pair of glasses;
a pair for distance and a pair for reading. Mother is happy to see again! 
This year, Mother will need to have 
 cataract procedure....the word: "surgery," scares her. 
As for the old, leaky, black boots, they were recycled klsb.

klsb: Karen Leigh Stevens Boykin; (19 July, 2015)
 
 computer-generated depiction of the inside of the retina, the light-sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye





Reference:
 Kim JS, Greene MJ, Zlateski A, Lee K, Richardson M, Turaga SC, 
Purcaro
M, Balkam M, Robinson A, Behabadi BF,
 Campos M, Denk W, Seung HS,
EyeWirers. Nature. 2014 May 15:509(7500):331-336.

Links:
Retinal Disease (National Eye Institute/NIH)
Seung Lab (Princeton University, Princeton, NJ)
(NIH Common Fund)
(Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Bethesda, MD)



NIH Support: Common Fund; 
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke











No comments:

Post a Comment