Monday, July 20, 2015

TIE MY TIE: HOW TO TIE MY TIE


TIE MY TIE: HOW TO TIE MY TIE

Within the past few years, I started making ties for an Island church choir. It is 
a small AME church on Edisto Island, South Carolina. My first twelve ties were
 hot pink polyester satin. Then, twenty red bow ties for the kids choir. I sometimes 
re-purpose shirts or dresses into ties. Waste not, want not! 
Ever since these projects, I have been designing my own ties for fun!
I call this fun business, “Tie My Tie.”
I would like to tell... how I tie a neck tie! 

As you will notice in the picture there are what I shall refer to as a large and
small section or piece of your tie.






Step 1.
 I am using a tie that is approximately 52” in length. Of course you may use any
 length as long as it will loop around and go through with enough room for neck
 space. With this you will need a neck or a stable post to tie this tie. Basically
 your knot is a half hitch and quite simple when you master the task. This will
take some practice, but once you accomplish this you will need to share your
new skill and teach others. You might want to accomplish this task in front of
a mirror.

Step 2.
Making sure the small end is on your left, drape the tie around your neck or the
 post as you would a nice scarf letting it hang evenly.

Step 3.
With your thumb and index finger take and slide the small end on the left up until
the end of the tie is up to middle of your breast bone. The larger end will now
hang down towards your right knee or if your using the post, the right end will be longer.

Step 4.
Holding the tie under your neck at your collar bone area.
Pick up the short end with your left hand, taking your right hand,
pick up the middle area of the large section of the tie.
Large will go over the small, similar to an “x.” While holding the small
section as described, with your thumb and your index finger, wrap the large
section around the small. Do this two ½ times. So 2.5 wraps total before
 you tuck. Not too tight or too lose. Your objective is to be able make a small
loop in the middle of your wrapped area with the top loop lose enough for the
 large end to travel through. On the last ½ wrap; take the large end and go up
 behind the middle area, then, over folding that large section over the middle,
so it will go nicely in through the top loop and down. Bringing the entire large
end through until you reach a comfortable loop in the front area.



Step 5.
Pulling the large end down slightly, while you are adjusting what is now called
the knot at your neck. Pulling down on the back small end this will tighten the knot.
The small piece will and should slide freely where you want to comfortably adjust it.
Pulling both ends gradually downward snugging the slip knot towards your neck or
 the post. The small end will slide easily to loosen or tighten. You should be able to
 tighten your tie to the snugness you are comfortable with!




If I can make a video, I will. However, this would mean that I was successful in
getting one of three sons to play the part with the tie. I did ask my daughter and
you see the results....oh well, it's still fun to write!
Hang on! If I get a camera for this computer..then I can do it...wow, I guess we
will all turn out to be isolated separatists eventually klsb!

 klsb-karen stevens boykin 20 July 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment